Bara Ceirch Oat Cakes
Oatcakes are part of the Beltaine ceremony.
During Beltaine a huge bonfire is kept going all night long. Pieces of the cake
are thrown into the fire as an offering to the protective
deities. Begin by blessing these cakes, saying a
prayer of gratitude and giving thanks to the Goddess and God for their abundance.
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 4 tablespoons medium oatmeal
- ˝ tablespoons bacon fat (suet)
- Pinch of salt
- Melt fat in water then sprinkle oatmeal in it, knead well
- Press and roll out with extra oatmeal and cut into rounds
- Bake on moderate griddle or frying pan for about ten minutes
- Allow hardening in warm place; customary place was a “diogyn”
(flat rock) in front of the hearth (fire)
Idaho Web Design