Bara Brith Welsh without yeast
This is the famous Welsh bread without yeast. The recipe was Elizabeth Foulkes' of Bontnewydd
in North Wales.
It is delicious, thinly sliced with butter.
- 1 lb self rising flour or 4 cups plain flour and
1/4 cup baking powder)
- 1 lb of mixed dried fruit
- 2 tablespoons of marmalade
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- half a pint of warm tea (don't put the milk in!)
- a teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1 egg
- Honey to glaze
- Mix the dried fruit, sugar and tea. Leave this mixture to
stand over night.
- Next day - stir in the flour, spice and marmalade and the
- Pour in the mixture into a loaf tin with grease-proof paper
then cook at 325 degree Fahrenheit for one and three-quarter hours (105 minutes).
- Turn out on a rack and brush with warm honey to glaze.
Idaho Web Design