Bara Brith Currant
Yield: 1 Loaf
- 2 lb flour
- 4 oz candied peel
- 1 oz yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp pudding spice
- 8 oz lard
- 1/2 pt warm milk or
- 6 oz sultanas
- milk and water
- 6 oz currants
- Cream the yeast and sugar by adding half of the warm milk
and leave to stand in a warm place for 10-15 minutes until frothy.
- Rub the lard into the flour and add the dry ingredients. Mix
- Make a hole in the middle of the flour mixture and add the
yeast and enough milk to make a soft elastic dough.
- Cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place for 12
hours to rise.
- Place in a greased, floured tin. Bake in a hot oven (425 F)
for 20 minutes and then lower to 400 F.
Idaho Web Design